Organizations in the greater Bangor area are very interested in hiring NTI graduates for many reasons including the hands-on training students’ receive, licensure/certifications and technical proficiency. But no matter how well trained and well positioned NTI graduates are, they, like all job seekers, have a better chance of success if they avoid these common JOB HUNTING mistakes.
NOT BEING PROACTIVE
- Target 5 to 10 prospective employers daily and submit applications, either online or in person.
RELYING SOLELY ON THE INTERNET
- In a Monster College survey, 78% of job seekers said that networking was a key factor in employment. Improve your networking by joining organizations, charity, and setting up a LinkedIn page https://www.linkedin.com. Also, read ‘It’s All About Networking’
FAILING TO FOLLOW UP
- It is not enough to send a resume and pray the phone rings. A 2 or 3 day follow up call is a key way to let the employer know that YOU ARE INTERESTED!
- Translation: Don’t assume FACEBOOK privacy settings keep your youthful antics away from a curious employers scrutiny
NOT TAKING THE JOB INTERVIEW SERIOUSLY
- Above all be PREPARED! Research the company, dress appropriately, and be prepared to answer tough interview questions such as “where do you see yourself in 3 years “ or “what are your weaknesses”.
Attending an Interview workshop will help you with overcoming these obstacles and prepare you for a successful Job Hunting Journey.