Website Northern Light Health
Department: Health Information Management
Position is located: Cianchette Professional Blding
Hours per Week: 40
Work Schedule: No Hours Assigned
Review EHR documentation and assign applicable ICD-10 codes. Assign the discharge disposition status code, and abstract data elements using the 3M 360 database and encoder. Query physicians as appropriate when clarification is needed on documentation. Depending on need may focus on in-patient (including sequencing ICD-10 codes for the appropriate MS-DRG and capturing all reportable diagnoses including those impacting the overall APR-DRG and severity/ mortality scores) or outpatient (including posting/correcting applicable charges, and modifier application) coding.
- Assign ICD-10-CM/PCS, CPT codes adhering to Official Coding Guidelines, AHA Coding Clinic, and payer specific guidance.
- Query physicians and providers when documentation needs clarification. Abstract required data elements within the 3M database.
- Maintains and exhibits a current knowledge of profession and completes required continuing education.
- Maintain established quality benchmarks for DRG, Principal Dx, Secondary Dx, CPT, E/M, Disposition, and Charge Entry
- Maintain established productivity benchmarks for Inpatient, Observation, ED, Same Day Surgery, Primary & Specialty Clinic, and Ancillary account types.
- Maintains a safe environment complying with NLH policies and procedures; reports and directly addresses environmental hazards and violations of patient safety policy and/or protocol when involved or observed.
- May perform other duties upon request.
Competencies and skills:
- Achieves Results: Sets high standards for their own outcomes and seizes opportunities to engage others towards objectives. Consistently moves forward with direct actions in order to attain or exceed objectives. Manages their own time effectively to accomplish assigned tasks. Successfully prioritizes multiple projects and duties as needed.
- Applies Business Acumen: Demonstrates knowledge of current and future trends that impact organizational success. Applies proven practices and business theories to get results that meet financial as well as other business goals. Recognizes opportunities for new services and products and acts accordingly, taking measured risks into consideration. Possesses a thorough knowledge of their field and independently carries out their work in accordance with professional standards of the profession.
- Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
- Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
- Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences’ level.
- Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
Ability to understand the language used to precisely describe the human body including its components, processes, conditions affecting it, and procedures performed upon it.
- No previous experience required.
- Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
- Utilizes Resources Effectively: Understands how to get the most out of available resources and uses cost-benefit thinking in decision-making and in setting priorities. Monitors and analyzes resource usage to identify and eliminate areas of waste and maximize resources. As a leader, defines targets and provides appropriate means; oversees progress and makes adjustments when necessary. Appropriately delegates work, sets clear direction and manages workflow and time.
- ICD-10-CM/PCS and CPT course completion required. (Uncertified: 12 months to complete certification). RHIT and/or CPC, CIC, COC, CCS, or CCS-P required. Preferred: Associates Degree in HIM. Associates Degree in HIM Preferred.
To apply for this job please visit css-emh-prd.inforcloudsuite.com.